Winnipeg police arrest 3 men after standoff on McGee Street

A police officer puts up crime scene tape during a standoff at a housing complex on McGee Street. (Photo: Northern Plains Freelancer)

Winnipeg police have arrested and charged three men after a standoff at a housing complex in the city’s West End on Saturday.

Police believed that two men, Terry Ryan Monkman, 37 and Dwayne Louis Simard, 37, who were wanted on outstanding arrest warrants, were at home in 600 block of McGee Street.

At around 11:10 a.m., with the assistance of the Tactical Support Team, a pair of entry warrants were executed. Several individuals exited the residence, including Monkman, who was taken into custody without incident.

The police ARV was deployed to assist with a search warrant execution at Mcgee Street on Saturday. (Photo: Northern Plains Freelancer)

Officers determined that Simard was still inside, along with another man, Jesse James Daher, 28, who was wanted for second-degree murder from a homicide in October 2020 and a shooting incident in January 2021.

Both men were uncooperative and it was believed that they could have firearms. The police Armored Rescue Vehicle (ARV) was deployed to the scene.

The Crisis Negotiation Unit made contact with the two men who were hiding in an attic.

The incident came to an end shortly after 6:30 p.m., when Daher surrendered to police and about 10 minutes later Simard did the same.

Tactical support team members enter a residence during a standoff in the 600 block of Mcgee Street. (Photo: Northern Plains Freelancer)

A loaded sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun and ammunition were later seized from the residence.

No injuries were reported.

Monkman is facing several weapons charges. He was also charged with failing to attend court and two counts of fail to comply with probation.

Daher is facing a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Mohamed Mohiadin Ahmed, 29. He was also charged with several weapons offences, aggravated assault and fail to comply with probation (x5).

Simard is facing several weapons charges. He was also charged with uttering threats, suspension of statutory release and being unlawfully at large.

All three were detained in custody.